Collaborates with academic teams with an expertise in regenerative medicine to advance their research innovation toward commercialization.
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Bioengineering
University of Pittsburgh
Development of a functional tissue engineering strategy for the repair and regeneration of an injured anterior cruciate ligament.
Education and Experience
Jonquil is a graduate research assistant at the Musculoskeletal Research Center (MSRC) at the University of Pittsburgh. Her dissertation research involved the development of a functional tissue engineering strategy for the repair and regeneration of an injured anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) using a resorbable metallic device in combination with extracellular matrix bioscaffolds. Jonquil has been involved with many initiatives to commercialize the research innovations of the MSRC and has developed an interest in regulatory strategy. Outside of the lab, Jonquil has spent hundreds of hours in service to the Pittsburgh community individually and as the STEM Outreach Coordinator of the graduate chapter of the Biomedical Engineering Society (BMES). In her spare time, she enjoys developing her Swahili language proficiency and training for half marathons.
PhD, Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, 2017
MS, Bioengineering, North Carolina A&T State University, 2012
BS, Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2010
Musculoskeletal Research Center, Department of Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh
Advisor: Savio L-Y. Woo, PhD, DSc, DEng
Development of a functional tissue engineering strategy for the repair and regeneration of an injured anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) using a resorbable metallic device in combination with extracellular matrix bioscaffolds
Department of Chemical, Biological, and Bioengineering, North Carolina A&T State University
Advisor: Matthew McCullough, PhD
Finite Element Analysis of A Magnesium Based ACL Interference Screw Drive to Improve Insertion Success
Laboratory for Neuroengineering, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
Advisor: Robert Butera, PhD
Optimization of techniques to study brainstem neural networks controlling respiration via immunohistochemistry, brightfield, fluorescent & multi-photon microscopy, as well as software engineering & data analysis
Muscle Physiology Lab, School of Applied Physiology, Georgia Institute of Technology
Advisor: Thomas Burkholder, PhD
Quantification of muscle heavy chain myosin expression via muscle protein extraction, concentration, & SDS-PAGE
Commercial Translation Experience
Magnesium Based Suture Anchor for Tendon Repair invention disclosure, Provisional Patent, PCT Patent, Patent
Repair and Regeneration of the Anterior Cruciate Ligament using Mg Ring and ECM Bioscaffolds Patent Application.
Awarded research funding by the following:
Coulter Translational Research Partners
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
NSF Engineering Research Center for Revolutionizing Metallic Biomaterials
Regulatory Intern, Innovation Institute, University of Pittsburgh
Undergraduate Senior Design Project: A Novel Device for the Reconstitution and Administration of Lyophilized Drug Products
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/