UVA Licensing & Ventures Group Heather Bansbach, PhD is responsible for evaluating the patentability and marketability of specific assets in the life sciences and biomedical engineering created from University of Virginia research.
Junior Commercial Translation Architect
sciVeloAt sciVelo, Heather worked under the immunotherapy theme identifying faculty involved in immunotherapy-related projects across the university.
Education and Experience
Heather Bansbach, PhD earned her BS Degree at the University of Virginia in Biomedical Engineering. In 2013, she joined the Neuromuscular Research Laboratory at the University of Pittsburgh to study musculoskeletal risk factors for the prevention and rehabilitation of musculoskeletal injuries. Her graduate studies included developing methods of quantifying postural stability using accelerometers for injury prevention and rehabilitation. In 2016, Heather joined sciVelo as a Junior Commercial Translation Architect. After completing her PhD in 2017, Heather joined the UVA Licensing & Ventures Group as a Licensing Analyst, bringing her enthusiasm and passion for supporting breakthrough technologies within the healthcare industry to the team. She is excited to be back in Charlottesville and supporting the research happening at her alma mater.
During Heather’s time with sciVelo, she worked within the Immunotherapy Theme to develop a portfolio of current immunotherapy-related projects across the university and helped to identify where projects fell in the translational ecosystem. She worked with academic teams on validating commercialization pathways through customer discovery and on business pitches.
Working as a Junior Commercial Translation Architect gave Heather an opportunity to meet many faculty members in the field of immunotherapy at the University of Pittsburgh, which was a completely different area of research from her graduate work. She needed to understand projects at a technical level while also visualizing the bigger picture and commercialization pathway. These are skills Heather now uses every day as a Licensing Analyst.
PhD, Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, 2017
BS, Biomedical Engineering, University of Virginia, 2013
Neuromuscular Research Laboratory, University of Pittsburgh, Advisor: Timothy Sell, PT, PhD
PhD Thesis: “Evaluation of an inertial sensor to quantify postural stability assessments in young healthy individuals and individuals with chronic ankle instability”
Bansbach HM, Lovalekar MT, Abt JP, Rafferty D, Yount D, Sell TC. Military Personnel with Self-Reported Ankle Injuries Do Not Demonstrate Deficits in Dynamic Postural Stability or Landing Kinematics. Clinical Biomechanics. (2017). 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2017.05.008.
Nagai T, Bansbach HM, Faherty MS, Abt JP, Sell TC, Lephart SM. Effects of Seated Whole-Body Vibration Exposure on Cervical and Trunk Proprioception and Static and Dynamic Postural Stability. Journal of Musculoskeletal Disorders and Treatment. 2016, 2(5): 024.
Molecular Biomechanics Laboratory, University of Virginia, Advisor: William Guilford, PhD
Bansbach HM and Guilford WH. Actin nitrosylation and its effect on myosin driven motility. AIMS Molecular Science. 2016 3(3): 426-438.
Commercial Translation Experience
As a graduate student, Heather participated in several student entrepreneurship competitions and programs, including the NSF I-Corps Program. In her role as the Entrepreneurial Lead, she spearheaded efforts in due diligence and customer discovery. Heather, along with a team of clinicians and industry mentors, aimed to bring standardized evaluations and best treatment practices to the physical therapy clinic.
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/