Supports commercial translation of projects within the Michigan-Pitt-Wyss Regenerative Medicine Resource Center through commercial translation roadmap construction, and Industry Partners Program relationship management.
Healthcare Policy and Management
Heinz College of Carnegie Mellon University
Education and Experience
Nick Wechter is interested in the intersection of life sciences, biotechnology, and healthcare. He is currently a Masters student in Healthcare Policy and Management at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). Prior to joining CMU, Nick worked at Whitman College as a research assistant studying protein crystallography, and at the University of Pittsburgh as a laboratory technician assisting on a molecular assay development project in collaboration with the Drug Discovery Institute. Nick also enjoys volunteering his time at the Sarah Heinz House Boys and Girls Club and the United Way Middle School Mentorship Program.
BA, Biophysics and Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Whitman College, 2016
MS, Healthcare Policy and Management, Heinz College, Carnegie Mellon University, expected in 2021
Worked in protein crystallography to study crystal stability and to model hypotonic soaking induced fracture.
Assisted in development of a high throughput screen assaying for novel molecular inhibitors of a DNA replicative helicase. Research resulted in a publication of methodologies used to characterize and standardize yeast growth metrics within the assay.
Marilyn Ngo, Nick Wechter, Emily Tsai, Tong Ying Shun, Albert Gough, Mark E. Schurdak, Anthony Schwacha, Andreas Vogt - A High-Throughput Assay for DNA Replication Inhibitors Based upon Multivariate Analysis of Yeast Growth Kinetics, SLAS Disc. 2019, Vol24, Issue 6.
Commercial Translation Experience
Assisted in the specification and optimization of a custom humidifier that is designed to increase protein crystal stability during mechanical manipulation. This work ultimately resulted in Whitman College's first issued patent.
Designed and built preliminary prototype of the humidifier now licensed to MiteGen Watershed.
Below are the three areas you need to edit in order to place a new staff profile on the homepage, in the staff profile landing page, and the full staff bio page. These instructions are hidden and will not show up on the public profile page. You can, however, delete this box when you no longer need these instructions.
I - Create a new Staff Profile page
1. Go to Posts and click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name and degrees in the “Enter Title Here” field
3. Scroll down to the Muffin Builder section
4. Click on "Templates"
5. Select: "New Staff Profile Template"
6. Select: "REPLACE current builder content"
7. Click: "Use Template"
8. Update content within each Item accordingly. Anything within (parenthesizes) should be updated.
9. Scroll to the LAYOUT section and choose the following options to maintain the appearance of the page and navigation:
a. Switch "Hide The Content" button to ON
b. For Layout, choose "Right Sidebar"
c. For Sidebar, select "Meet Our Translators"
10. Under Categories, choose the appropriate staff role.
11. Click Publish when finished.
II - Add new Offer to appear on "Meet the Team" on homepage
1. Under "Offer", click "Add New"
2. Enter the person’s full name in the “Enter Title Here” field.
3. Copy/paste the content from the Body Copy area of another offer into this offer and update accordingly. This will guarantee you get the same look and feel.
4. Choose the appropriate category based on job title.
5. Add the person’s headshot under “Featured Image” and make sure the background is transparent (.png)
6. Update the Post Attribute Order field to keep with the alphabetical order. You will need to view the list of offers to determine the appropriate Order attribute to assign. You will then need to update all the subsequent offers so they continue with the appropriate order.
7. Hit Publish.
III - Add new profile to Meet the Team landing page
This content will need to be added manually and does not pull from other areas on the site, like the homepage or staff profile pages. You'll need to copy/paste the following code into the appropriate area and update it with the new staff member's information.
Stage location: http://stage.scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/
Production location: http://scivelo.pitt.edu/meet-our-translators/